Drivers and Vehicles Licensing Department is one of the service departments of the Public Security Directorate, which dates back to 1926. The department was concerned with providing all services related to the registration and licensing of drivers and vehicles as it was operating under the Road Transport Law. In that time, it was called” Traffic Department”, and was linked with the Jordanian Arab Army Commander till (1946) after that it was separated from the Army Command and was called ” Traffic and Licensing Department”.
In order to keep pace with the urban and population development, a number of branches were established in each of these cities: Jerusalem, Nablus, Hebron, and Irbid in (1950). In (1968), “licensing Department ” was separated from “Traffic Department” , along with establishing Traffic Department branches In each of the cities: Zarqa, Salt, Ma’an and Karak.
From (1982 – 1990), Mafraq Licensing Branch, Public Truck Licensing section , West Amman Licensing section, Madaba Licensing section, and Zarqa Free Zone Licensing section were established.
From (1990-2002), licensing sections were established in all the governorates of the Kingdom, and automated work was completed in all licensing sections. Thus, the Licensing Department became providing its services through its sections which spread throughout the Kingdom’s governorates.
In 2003, Drivers and Vehicles Licensing Department was chosen to be one of the institutions that was included in the fast lanes of the e-government project, and by the end of 2005 the two phases, the preliminary and the first, were completed, and in 2006, the implementation of the second phase was started.
The department did not stop at this point, but followed the process of constant development and improvement of its services, as it automated the theoretical examination in its center in cooperation with Ministry of Public Sector Development – the Innovation and Excellence Fund.
Since the software and curricula have become available to it, it has placed within its work programs the automation of theoretical examination in all licensing sections that spread in the Kingdom within a timetable, taking into account the priorities and workload of the section. All these things aims at reaching the with excellence in service provision, shortening the time for its recipients and ensuring procedural transparency during process Examination.
As a continuation of the service improvement process, in the second half of 2007 the department began computerizing the technical inspection procedures in both South Shouneh licensing section, which was established at the end of 2006, and South Amman Licensing section . all the technical inspection lanes will also be computerized according to a timetable set for this purpose.
The process of improvement and development that was mentioned has been accompanied by a review of a number of regulations and instructions to ensure facilitation and simplification of procedures and constant improvement in service provision. In 2008, the department was restructured, and a new organizational structure was prepared that included establishing a number of sections and branches, the most important of which is the Training Section Legal and judicial Affairs section / Legal Adviser, Oversight and Follow-up Branch, the Investors Branch and the Military Service Office, and recently , it was established Licensing Section( North Amman) in Shafa Badran.
Computerizing Technical inspection procedures in all licensing sections.
- Establishing licensing section(West Amman) in Marj Al-Hamam Abu Alanda (Umm Abhara).
Signing several agreements of understanding with service partners
Started with establishing Customs licensing section in Madouneh area.
- Started establishing licensing section (South Valley) in Ghor Al Mazraa.
- Developing the daily archiving system and followingup to fully control and audit transactions through the Institutional development section.
- Launching the service of selling the most distinguished numbers through public auctions.
- Activate the renewal of the exempted vehicle from the technical inspectio0n through the online portal.
- Launching the mobile license section ( we could reach you ) to serve remote locations.
- Establishing a mosque at North Amman license ,service office for senior officers and people with disabilities.
- Establishing a mosque at Mafraq license section.
- Creating new technical inspection lanes in South Amman Licensing Section.
- Increasing the number of (club car) transport vehicles at the center of the department.
- Starting the construction of solar, renewable energy project within the center of the department and its affiliated sections.
- Launching the mobile license section (we could reach you) to serve remote locations
- licensing Department participated in the innovation award under the title “Licensing innovates”.
- An internal committee was formed in conjunction with a delegate from Jordan Traffic Institute to review the theoretical examination questions and revise them in line with the laws, regulations and instructions in force for each category, whereas the committee decided to redistribute the questions and focus on the causes of traffic accidents. It also linked the system to a unified and central database for all sections in which any amendment is automatically reflected in all sections for the purpose of unifying questions and answers with the possibility of backup the copies of data, unlike the previous system. The mechanism of work is concentrate on developing a theoretical examination for deaf persons seeking driving licenses in a readable and visual manner :sign language. This project was initiated in cooperation with service providers and the relevant local community institutions.
- The procedures of practical examination appointments have been reorganized and computerized so that students are distributed to the committees electronically in a way that does not exceed (24) students for each committee, and that the round of practical examination is not less than (15) minutes in which the student passes all the required examination activities. The traffic system was also computerized, so that no student who has successfully passed the theoretical examination could be added to apply for the practical examination on the same day until 14 days of passing the theoretical examination in order to enable him to obtain additional training sessions which it achieves the eligibility if he applies for the practical examination.
- Three committees have been formed to inspect the driver training centers spread throughout the Kingdom for the purposes of supervising their work, monitoring the work of driving trainers in the field, demonstrating their compliance with instructions and eliminating the phenomenon of selling competency certificates by these centers.
- The use of (BODY WORN CAM) was developed in cooperation with the Directorate of Operations and Control in order to be used by the committees of practical, theoretical and technical examination for the purpose of achieving full control over the inspection processes, and ensure the integrity of its procedures which eliminate the phenomenon of mediation and reach the realistic and real results which contributes to reducing traffic accidents and material and human losses.
- Supplying (4) mobile licensing stations, and the work is ongoing to equip a mobile bus.
- Establishing a building for traffic and services.
- Launching Call Center service (064888888), as it provides the following automated response services (vehicle services, driver services, introduction to electronic services, complaints and suggestions)
- Creating new technical inspection lanes at South Amman Licensing Section.
- Creating automated queuing system which allow to know the duration of completing the transaction and waiting time.