Traffic safety concept aims to adopt all plans, programs and traffic regulations in addition to preventive procedures to reduce the traffic accidents to ensure human safety and his properties, in addition to maintain the country’ human and economic components.
The elements of traffic safety
Traffic safety concept consists of the following three elements:
- Vehicle: carry out the necessary and periodic maintenance for the vehicles such as: check the front and rear lights, windshield wipers, check the foot and manual brakes, the tire pressure, clean the front and rear glass in addition to check the steering.
- Road: through cooperation with private and government institutions to protect the road from any obstacles or constructional works that hinder the traffic on road when its occur the should be provided with the necessary signs to maintain the public safety and the road users should increase their attention while crossing constructed road.
- Human element: it divided into two sections:
- Drivers: (driver is the person who drive one of vehicles of the public road and he is committed to implement the traffic rules while using the road).
- Pedestrians: (pedestrians are individuals and groups who are using the roads and streets on foot).
Traffic accidents are still claim the lives of many pedestrians since we are all use the road as pedestrians we should help each other we need to feel safe on roads in our cities. Traffic accidents are one of the most serious problems we have no doubt that the mutual cooperation between the drivers and pedestrians will help to enhance the safety opportunities on road.
Most roads consist of crossing walk, sidewalks, safety islands, pedestrians crossing paths. And traffic light and signs which help to direct the traffic movement and separate between the pedestrians and the traffic movement but these engineering controls failed in preventing the pedestrians accidents. There are also two additional factors that affect pedestrians safety: the drivers’ behavior and the pedestrians behaviors.